Text on back of picture:
State Hospital. 1895.
In 1869, the State Homeopathic Medical Society sought to establish a private institution for the homeopathic treatment of the insane, the term in use at the time. Ground for the first building was broken July 13, 1871, and construction begun. Cornerstone laying ceremonies were held on the afternoon of Saturday, October 26, 1872. The architect was Carl Pfeiffer. The asylym complex had three buildings--the main building and pavilions. Corneliue J. Sloat of Middletown was the on-site architect for the construction, and James Willis was the landscape architect. The main building opened April 1874.